***We are looking forward to sharing many fun and educational experiences with you and your child this year! We thank you in advance for your cooperation and welcome suggestions for enhancing our program!
The following are important suggestions that will make your child’s experience a positive one!
A. Skills we will focus on:
1. Tying, zipping, snapping, left/right directions, cutting and tracing
2. Being able to use the bathroom facilities by themselves (please reinforce washing of hands) (you may send in an extra set of clothes)
3. Counting from 1 to 20 and associating numbers to objects
4. Recognizing the 8 standard colors with the addition of gray, pink, and white
6. Address, phone number and birth date
7. Letter formation (manuscript attached)
8. Recognizing his/her name in print.
9. Writing their full first name, and in January, first and last name
10. Following schoolyard rules.( no running, bullying or rough play)
B. Parent Responsibilities
1. Put first and last names on all belongings. (clothing, winter wear and toys)
2. Students are permitted to bring a small toy for morning recess only. We are not responsible for loss or breakage. NO BALLS ARE ALLOWED.
3. School begins at 8:05 AM in the gym. The morning CARES program begins at 7:30. If your child is not enrolled in the program, they should arrive between 7:50 and 8:05. If your child arrives prior to 7:50, you will be charged for morning CARES. The only exception to this is bus riders. There will be a green sign in the window of the main door to the school. When the sign is removed, CARES is over and students may enter the building without being charged. Students who arrive after 8:05 must go to the office for a late slip. Lateness is recorded.
Dismissal is 2:45 PM. If you are running late to pick up your child, you must contact Mrs. Colden, and she will inform the teacher. Late parents will pick up at CARES.
4. If your child’s dismissal instructions change for any reason, we must have written permission to change the dismissal procedure. You may email your child’s teacher by 12 noon of that day, or call the office. For example, if your child is going home with a friend for a playdate, we must be notified in writing. We will not take the verbal instructions of a child.
5. If your child is absent you must call the office by 8am to report your child out and an absent note must accompany your child when he/she returns. Students absent for 3 consecutive days require a doctor's note to return. Students must be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school.
6. Parents are not permitted to drop in unannounced to your child’s classroom. All parents are required to stop at the office during the day for any contact reasons. (ex.-forgotten lunches, early dismissals)
7. Please keep the monthly calendar handy for daily reference.(this calendar can be found on our web page)
8. On half days and hot Lunch days, children still need an AM snack if they do not get a pretzel.
9. All lunches should be accompanied by 2 napkins.
10. Kindergarteners are required to wear their uniform every day, unless special instructions have been given. (ex.-Pajama Day or dress down day)
1. The children will be recognized on their special day, but no treats are to be sent in from home. They will be recognized at Morning Prayers in the gym, they will wear a birthday crown and sticker, we will sing to them in the classroom, and the teacher will give them a small, non edible treat.
This is very important. Our goal is to improve skills and build a homework ethic for the student’s future school career.
1. Monday- Students will draw, label and color 3 pictures of something beginning with the letter of the week in their homework copybook. Students are to use only crayons to color pictures and pencils only to label(write the description)Please note that homework will be posted on the monthly calendar and web page and may change from time.
2. Tuesday- Written homework will be posted on the webpage.
3. Wednesday- Students will complete a math practice sheet.
4. Thursday- Reading series readers will be sent home to be read By and with the student.
5. Friday- NO HOMEWORK
1. Please make sure that all sweatshirts are labeled with the student’s name.
2. NO jewelry of any kind may be worn on Gym day.
3. Sneakers must be worn.
F. Jewelry/nail polish
Kindergarten follows the same directives as the whole school.
Earrings are limited to one pair of post earrings(girls only)
No hoops or hanging earrings
Only clear nail polish permitted
Each student will have 2 folders provided in September. One will stay in the classroom, and one will travel home each day.
The home folder will be labeled with a “L” and “R”. L= leave at home and R=return to school.
Please empty all papers on the “L” side each day and return any items on the “R”side to school.
As the take home folder wears, parents are asked to replace it.
H. Homeroom Mother/Father
Your Homeroom parent will contact you throughout the school year to help out with parties and events.
They will be in charge of class list, food for parties, volunteers for helping, and other things that can help our class.
We will be communicating with all parents by email and our web page. Please check the web page for all upcoming events or activities. Please feel free to email your child’s teacher with questions or concerns. Please do not rely on email for daily changes. Please call the office with dismissal changes. As we try to get to email as soon as possible, our major concern is being with the children ,and emails will be answered at the end of the day.